Posted on

3D Printing a taillight holder

So i will attempt to finish building the seat pan this weekend.  In preparation for that I have 3D printed a holder for the tail light assembly.  The tail lights will be a integrated LED design. See the item in question here.

The holder is designed to be repairable and I think looks quite neat.  Will update you with photos of the final assembly.

If anyone is interested I can share the STL files. PM me.

 

 

Posted on

RT80 DCOE linkage choke

The next step in the DCOE project was to add a choke linkage assembly. I wanted to keep the stock controls as they are quite well built and functional. After a bit of conideration i got some standard bicycle brake cable wire and terminations. Add a length of bicycle brake cable sheating and I had a choke cable in place.

You will also notice a throttle adapter on the carb.  Thats for another post.

Posted on

DCOE Conversion setup

I once saw a DCOE conversion for a motorcycle and decided to do the same on the RT80. I was intended to service the BINGs anyway, all new cables seals etc etc.  The cost was about 80 of the conversion cost including the new DCOE40 carb.

The trickiest part was getting the intake manifold fabricated. I used a waterjet cut plate for the carb mounts and mild steel tubing with 90 degree elbows to fabricate it.  Usually this would have been done with SS but as I dont have a tig, the trusty MIG did the job.

 

The 90 degree elbows were cut to the angle I needed and then carefully aligned before final welding.  Not an easy job by any means, but one done it was quite rewarding to see it in place.

Posted on

RT80 First Start in 12 years

The bike was laid up for 12 years. Used by a gentleman rider to make his way to and from work. It was a trusted workhorse for all the time he owned it. For an unknown reason the bike was laid up and left until i purchased it. Always wanted a airhead having owned 4 oilheads. Astoundingly, I added fresh gas, and cranked for a few times. Ran just long enough to make sure all was working. Next step was full fluid change. oil, filter, transmission, swing arm, rear drive. Stay tuned for more updates on the build.
Posted on

Deconstruction

Deconstruction is always a fun time in a build. Its when all the possibilities start developing. It si also a great time to find out how well the bike was maintained. On this particular bike the previous owner was not a fan of WD-40. ost of the fasteners were corroded, and the alloy bits had a bit of fuzz on them.
Posted on

Original Bike

The R80RT came into the project garage as an eBay purchase . Low miles but unriden for 12 years. The alloy parts were heavily corroded while the fairings and the rest of the bike looked quite good. There were not definite lans for the build but more of a wait and let the bike speak during the deconstruction. Enjoy the pics